Applying for a licence to use industrial alcohol

The term ‘industrial alcohol’ refers to any alcoholic beverage, spirit or other alcoholic preparation intended for educational, research or industrial purposes that contains more than 1.2% by volume of ethyl alcohol. A licence to purchase and use industrial alcohol must be obtained from the National Supervisory Authority for Welfare and Health (Valvira).

Apply for a licence in the e-service of the alcohol trade register (Allu). 

In your application, you must specify for what purpose the alcohol will be used, how much alcohol you will need per year and where the alcohol will be used. The licence is site-specific. In addition to the name and address of the licence holder and the site, the alcohol types, their approved intended use and the annual quota are recorded in the licence.

The processing time varies on a case-by-case basis, but as a rule, licence applications will be processed in approximately two weeks from the date of receipt. The fee payable for the application is determined in accordance with a Decree of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health. For applications received by 31 December 2025, it is EUR 300.