Planning to work in the social welfare and health care field

To work in a social welfare or health care profession in Finland, you must usually have a licence granted by Valvira. Valvira grants the right to practise a social welfare or health care profession on application to professionals trained in Finland and abroad. 

The instructions on how to apply are slightly different depending on whether you have completed your training in Finland, in a Member State of the European Union (EU) or the European Economic Area (EEA), or outside the EU/EEA. Select the profession for which you want to apply for the right to practise and select where you have completed your training for that profession. The instructions are available in English only for applicants who have studied outside of Finland.

The Member States of the European Union (EU) are Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Sweden.

The European Economic Area includes all Member States of the EU plus Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. Training completed in Switzerland is also considered as a training completed in an EU or EEA country.

Contact us

By e-mail [email protected]

Phone +358 295 209 550
Weekdays 10.00–11.00 (except Wednesdays)