Retail of products subject to the Tobacco Act

Tobacco products and nicotine-containing liquids may be sold or otherwise handed over for retail only based on a permit issued by the municipality where the sales outlet is located. The permit is specific to the sales outlet and the permit holder. For questions concerning the permit, you can contact the municipal authority supervising the Tobacco Act in the first instance.

In addition to the retail permit, the retail permit holder must have the identification codes required by the traceability system for the wholesaler to sell tobacco products to the permit holder. You can read more about this on our Prevention of illicit trade -page.

The municipal authority supervising the Tobacco Act must be notified in advance of changes in operations and the termination of operations. This information may have an impact on the control fees charged by the municipality, so the information must be submitted to the municipality in good time. The municipality charges a fee according to the approved rate for the processing of a retail permit for tobacco products and nicotine-containing liquids or for the processing of a notification concerning the retail of nicotine-containing liquids. If you have any questions regarding the fees, you can contact the municipality in which the sales outlet is located. 

For its part, the municipality must notify Valvira of the granting and cancelling of a permit, changes to a permit, sales violations, and the discontinuation of sales.

Submit a retail permit application in writing to the municipality. The simplest way is to submit the application electronically. Fill in the electronic retail permit application here (in Finnish). If you cannot submit your application electronically, you can use the written permit application at the end of this page. Instructions for filling in the permit application can also be found at the end of this page.

Tobacco register Turre will be updated in early summer 2024. The register’s URL and electronic application form will change. Due to the upcoming reform, the service may be unavailable for a while.

For the moment being, a retail licence is not required for selling tobacco substitutes, such as nicotine pouches.

Frequently asked questions about retail